May 6, 2015

Cinco De Mayo

This year I had so many things planned for our little fiesta. However, life got in the way and God used a little boy to tell me that I needed to change my plans. Instead of doing fun arts and crafts and learning about the Mexican culture, we played in the sunshine, splashed in the water table, cuddled during his nap, and spent some much needed time unplugged from my phone and computer. I realized that is something I need to do more often. I find myself sitting on my phone or computer more than I care to admit. And recently Ryder has made me see this. I notice that if I even pick up my phone to check the time or weather he will push it out of my hand. If it rings or plays the new message tune he will throw it. He may not be so subtle but he definitely gets his point across.


Another goal that I am setting for myself this summer is to show more real, unedited, raw images of our lives. For reason most pictures will be edited to add a copyright (more on this another day) but I will not crop out the messes, the ugly, and I want to get in front of the camera more. I need to get in front of the camera more. If not for my own reasons but for Ryder. I want him to look back on pictures of our days together and see me. Not just himself and what activity we are doing. So here goes nothing. Ryder and I making faces for the camera. No editing. No make up. Not in complete focus. Just the two of us post nap while eating a popcorn snack and talking about where the afternoon will take us.







We did enjoy a meal of fajitas, Spanish rice, and corn, finishing our evening with a walk to the local ice cream shop, and I wouldn't trade our less than festive day for anything. And while I want Ryder to grow up enjoying these small holidays that we use to teach culture and to have fun I also want him to know that it's okay when plans don't always work they way you thought they would. Because I know I still need to work on this also. Even though we didn't make or break mini pinatas, make footprint chili peppers, or learn about Mexican culture and number it was still a day full of memories.

1 comment: