November 5, 2014

Mini Meals {part 2}

I have had so many views and received so many comments and questions on my Mini Meals post. I decided to do another post and share some tips on make-ahead meals and some of our recent favorite meal ideas. 

Let's start with breakfast since it's the first thing on Ryder's mind when he wakes up. Normally during the week I will give him a grain (cereal, toast, whole wheat pancakes, whole wheat waffles), fruit, and milk. Two days a week I will give him scrambled eggs usually with cheese and a veggie mixed in (his favorite right now is frozen peas). I recently found a pancake muffin idea on Pinterest. So far they are a huge hit! Another idea that I haven't yet tried but it's on my to do list is omelet and potato bites.

Lunch is much harder recently for some reason. I tend to find myself putting the same food on his plate day after day. So I made it a point to add a good variety into his meals. I made a chart on a piece of paper so that I know what to make him for lunch for the month. I write down five days of food combos, one for each week in the month. Here is a week of his lunches that he has been getting just to give you some ideas.

- half sandwich (usually turkey or ham with cheese), fruit, and steamed baby carrots
- taco meat (leftovers), corn, and fruit
- pizza, lettuce salad, and fruit
- half grilled cheese, cup of soup, and fruit
- meatballs (frozen), pasta with marinara, broccoli

Snacks are much easier. He usually doesn't want a snack unless he barely ate lunch. Normally he gets into the cabinet and grabs Goldfish, Teddy Grahams, Graham Crackers, or asks for dry cereal. Occasionally (about twice a week) I will give him a smoothie after his nap. I have made a system that really helps get the smoothie to him quicker since sometimes he gets to take one to go in the car if we are leaving the house in a hurry in the mornings. This usually happens on Fridays when we have gym class. I make a large batch in the blender and fill ice cube trays. Once frozen I put the blocks into a freezer bag. I will pull out three or four cubes and left them sit in his cup overnight in the fridge. This helps make my mornings so much faster. Below are our favorite recipes.


Purple Smoothie
1 banana
1 kiwi
7 spinach leaves
1/2 teaspoon Agave Nectar (or honey)
1 cup blueberries
1 cup whole milk yogurt

Peanut Butter + Banana Smoothie
1 banana (frozen)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1/2 teaspoon Agave Nectar (or honey)
1 tablespoon Quick Oats
2 tablespoons whole milk

No comments:

Post a Comment