August 22, 2014

Mini Meals

At around 11 months Ryder began to get picky about what he was eating. I couldn't understand it at first. He would eat something one day, then refuse it the next. I started to watch patterns & realized that if he was getting too much of something, he was getting "tired" of it. There are also some food items that he just doesn't like & will gag if I even put them on his plate. Of course I still occasionally offer it to him in hopes that he will try it again & like it. My plan has worked a few times.

I also always try to make sure that he has the recommended amount of veggies, fruits, grains, dairy & protein. We don't always make the quota but we try hard. When it comes to portion size (as you will see in the pictures) Ryder will eat a lot some days & hardly any the next. Some meals I will pack his plate full if it contains most of the nutrients & if I know he will eat all of it. So please keep in mind that the bite sizes & portions may not be the same that your child can tolerate. These are only according to Ryder.

{A little background if you are new to the blog.}
We started Ryder on purees at around 5 months. Since I made all his food he was getting pretty thick & textured purees from the beginning. It worked for us & by 7 months we had added small soft bites into the mix. Ryder has had table food since 9 months. You can read more about that in this post.

{Breakfast}
Toast & Fresh Fruit - Most mornings Ryder's breakfast looks very similar to this plate. I switch the fruit for different tastes & colors. I also use either whole-grain toast or cinnamon raisin toast.
Pancakes or Waffles & Fresh Fruit - Ryder loves peanut butter on his pancakes & toast plus it adds a little extra protein to his breakfast.
Scrambled Eggs & Fresh Fruit - Ryder is not a big fan of the eggs. I use the whole egg & top it with a little shredded cheese. I recently started topping it with a Mexican shredded cheese that I have mixed with taco seasoning. He will eat this much better.
Oatmeal & Fresh Fruit - I add brown sugar & cinnamon to instant oatmeal.
Occasionally, Ryder eats just plain cereal with fresh fruit & yogurt as well. The cereal is usually Cheerios, Life or any other whole-grain cereal I have in the pantry.

{Lunch}
Deli Meat, Green Beans, Cheese & Fresh Fruit - I get thick sliced meat from the deli; usually chicken or turkey. Ryder loves Colby Jack cheese & Mild Cheddar so I buy them in small blocks & slice them. It's so much cheaper & healthier than the pre-sliced cheeses. I also steam fresh green beans then mix them with a little bit of soy sauce & breadcrumbs for flavor.
Mac & Cheese, Peas & Fresh Fruit - I added deli chicken to this plate because I knew that he wouldn't be getting a good amount of protein with the dinner we were having that night. I make mac-in-a-mug for him. All I do is put 1/3 cup water in a microwave bowl with noodles for 6-8 minutes; stir every 2 minutes or so. Add a splash of milk & shredded cheddar cheese. Stir together & serve!
English Muffin Pizzas & Fresh Fruit - This is an awesome way to sneak veggies in!
Grilled Cheese, Veggies & Fresh Fruit - This is always a big hit with Ryder.

{Snack Ideas}
Yogurt Dots
Applesauce
Graham Crackers
Goldfish
Ritz Mini Peanut Butter or Cheese Crackers
Cheese Cubes
Fresh Fruit
Sweet Potato Fries

I hoped that this helped you with some ideas for your little one. Or even yourself! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment