August 11, 2017

5 Must Have Baby Items

When I was pregnant with Ryder I thought that you had to have all of the recommended and most loved baby products out there. We were quickly overwhelmed and overcrowded by all the things! Ryder had at least six different spots to lay, sleep, and sit. We used maybe two before he outgrew them. He also used the giant infant swing a couple of times before he hated being in it. We had more bright, colorful, and useless baby items than we had room for and I found myself stressed out over trying to decide which to use when Ryder would get fussy.

{One of the few photos of Ryder in his swing before he started hating it. I couldn't even turn it on or he would scream.}

From the moment we found out we were expecting I made the decision to keep the baby products to a minimum this time around. Baby girl won't even have a bedroom when she arrives. Which may or may not be an issue with the nesting that is slowly starting to happen. Even then, her nursery will be simple with a crib, dresser, bookshelf, rocking chair, and a place for toys. My grandfather made the most beautiful wooden cradle for my mother when she was expecting me. We kept it at their house for Ryder, but this time she will be snoozing in our bedroom in the cradle for the first few months. I am so excited! We will also not be purchasing any of that giant nursery furniture that often falls apart when the child becomes a toddler. You will not find a changing table in our house this time around. I will use a changing pad on our big dresser in the bedroom for those early months, but we found that we hardly ever used it as Ryder got older. We used the floor, couch, beds...it's just reality.

So for baby girl I wanted to make sure we had necessities and baby items that served more than one purpose are my absolute favorite! Here are my top five must have baby items.


One of the first items many expecting parents and family members buy for a new baby is clothing. It is so exciting to hold those tiny pieces of clothing and image the baby wearing them. One thing I learned with Ryder was that in the first three months a baby will wear mostly sleepers, onesies, and gowns. For baby girl I may have gone a little overboard with newborn to three months sleepers. She will be born at the beginning of the winter season and I can guarantee that those first few months she won't wear much of anything else. My favorites are Old Navy footed-sleepers. They fit so well and hold up great to all of the washing and messes that will happen. And in case you are reading this for your first baby, let me just say that most babies do not wear that adorable newborn size long! I always buy zero to three months and keep a few newborn sizes on hand. You also can never have too many!

I am excited to put baby girl in the 4moms Mamaroo. Ryder hated his swing but loved anything that bounced or rocked. The new design allows infants to be reclined and the seat sits upright for older babies. I mean, out of five different settings baby girl has to like one of them right?

The Boon Drying Rack is one of my favorite baby items of all times! It hasn't left our kitchen counter at all for the last four years. I still use it daily to air dry cups and other items. It's cute and can easily be put in the dishwasher for cleaning. It is my go-to baby shower gift also! We own the grass and lawn versions. I seriously love this product!!

A product that I'm not only getting for baby girl, but also getting a second one for Ryder is the Hatch Baby Night Light + Sound Machine. It features an "okay to wake" feature that changes the color of the night light letting children know that it's okay to get out of bed. I definitely recommend a good night light and sound machine and this product does both! Plus you can adjust the settings from your smartphone. I'm super excited to use this!

Bathing an infant in a kitchen sink is just super convenient. But when they are still too small or when they can't sit on their own it can be a little tricky. Plus if you need to bathe two child at one time, filling the tub once just makes sense. Ryder is old enough to understand not to splash a baby so this Angelcare Bath Seat is perfect for baby girl to sit in without slipping and sliding during bath time.

Do you have any must have baby items that I should check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment