December 23, 2013

Handprint Keepsake Ornament


 I have been shopping & searching online since October for the perfect "Baby's First Christmas" ornament. I don't like the ones that look too babyish. And I thought about having one made with him picture from this year, but we already have a family one with room for our pictures so that wouldn't work. I wanted something that he would be able to take with him when he is grown (will that really happen?) & show his children. I finally decided to make my own. No baby picture involved.

Let me start off by saying that getting a 4 month old to sit still AND hold his hand open without grabbing the dough is much harder that it looks! I highly suggest trying to make this when your little grabber is sleeping! However, Ryder will wake up if touched when asleep so that was not an option. Or your sweet baby may end up flipping you the bird...


Here is how I made it.

Handprint Keepsake Ornament
What you will need:
ribbon
1 large round cookie cutter
a straw or something similar to poke 2 holes in dough
acrylic paint (I painted mine white)
a cute baby

Roll the dough onto a smooth surface. I suggest using wax paper to roll your dough onto.
Using the cookie cutter to make a perfect circle (unless you chose a different shape).
Press your baby's hand gently onto dough. (Count your blessings if you got it on the first try!)


Press 2 small holes on top of your ornament. This will be wear you string your ribbon.


Let the ornament air-dry over night or 48 hours if needed.
When it is dry you can paint it if you'd like.
Let the paint completely dry then spray the ornament with sealer and let it dry another 24 hours.
Cut your ribbon to your desired length & string through holes.


I wrote "Ryder Dean 4 mo. 2013" on the back with a silver Sharpie.

With all the festiveness going on around here I am surprised that we are still functioning! This weekend alone at least 5 dozen cookies were iced, 100 pretzels dipped & sprinkled, favorite Christmas movies were watched & then watched again, room was made for new toys, & some gifts were handed out. I am so excited that Christmas is just about here & as much as I love all the hustle & bustle, I'm glad that all will be calm soon. Happy Christmas Eve Eve!!

1 comment: