December 14, 2013

Snowed In

When we woke up this morning it was a winter wonderland outside! The weatherman had been calling for 3 to 6 inches between Friday & today. Well, I'm pretty sure there is at least 5 inches out there now & it's still coming down! I'm not a huge fan of the snow, but this year I couldn't be more thrilled! Seriously! Ryder got to see snow for the first time today.

That is our street under all that snow! The plows haven't made their way yet.

When he woke up I opened the window so we could look out. He stared in awe at the white powder & then giggled! It was priceless! I can't wait until Seth gets home from work so that we can suit Ryder up & take him outside in it for the first time! I'm almost positive he will like it better from the window. I must say that it is very pretty outside.

Look at those ears!

For some reason, when it is snowy outside I get in the mood to cook & bake! Maybe it's the cold weather or maybe it's the boredom. Whatever it is, it prompted us to bake cookies!




Grandma's Cut-out Sugar Cookies
COOKIES
1/2 cup shortening
2-3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

ICING
1 egg white
2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt

Combine shortening, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, milk, & salt. Let chill in fridge overnight. Roll out on floured surface to 1/4 inch thick & cut with cookie cutters. Bake on greased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper) at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Add powdered sugar gradually to unbeaten egg white in a medium bowl. Beat until smooth & to desired consistency. I add a little bit of powdered sugar at a time to make sure it is a thick or thin as I want it.

The green tint was made with Wilton icing dye - Kelly Green.
The Snicker Doodle cookies are a Betty Crocker mix.

Happy 11th Day of Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. You want to bake because you take after me!!!! LOL! I have three batches of dough in my fridge waiting on me, a big pot of soup on the stove and have been looking at other recipes! LOVE all the pictures! Ryder couldn't be cuter, ears and all.

    ReplyDelete