December 16, 2013

25 Books for Christmas

Every year growing up, it was pretty much always the same routine when it came to the holidays. We would do the same thing on Christmas Eve & day every single year. Now that we have Ryder I am so excited to make our own family traditions.

When I was a teenager, on Christmas Eve we would go to our church's Christmas Eve service then drive & look at the Christmas lights around town. When we got home, mom & I would stay up to eat Christmas Cookies & watch the 1951 Christmas Carol on TV. Christmas morning we would open & exchange presents, eat breakfast (usually cinnamon rolls from my grandmother) & watch A Christmas Story. Around noon we would all head over to my grandparent's house & have lunch, exchange gifts, then talk, play games, or (in the men's case) fall asleep watching the A Christmas Story marathon. Occasionally when I was younger we also had to head over to the other family's house for dinner & gifts.

This year things will be much different. There will still be Christmas Eve service followed by driving around to see the lights. There will still be Christmas morning presents (from Santa!!!). However, this year there will be a small lunch & gift exchange with my parents, then everyone will be coming to their house at 2 for presents and dinner! I am SO excited for the change! We will be heading for lunch at Seth's family's on the day after Christmas.

This year we started a fun tradition that Ryder has sort of gotten into. We have been doing 25 Books for Christmas. Every night there is a wrapped book under the tree. We unwrap it (Ryder's favorite part) & read it together as a family. Not all of his books this year are Christmas themed. Mostly because there are only so many Christmas books for babies. But if you take my love for children's books & my love for Christmas, then you have the perfect tradition! I put together a list of (recommended from myself & other moms) 25 Christmas books for children!



I think it's a good mix of classics, silly, & modern ones. I also threw in a few that tell about the true meaning of Christmas which is very important. I also love the traditions of Elf on the Shelf & Pajama Elves! So fun for when the kids are older. I am so excited to add to our small collection. If you have another Christmas book that your family loves please let me know!

NINE days left until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment